Last night in our church ladies Bible study a dear sister in Christ told the enemy, “Enough in Jesus Name!”
It was a powerful prayer! Jesus said in Matthew 11:12, “The violent take it by force!” Then, in Ephesians chapter 6 we are told to put on the whole armor of God so we can take our stand against the enemy when the day of evil comes. We are told to take up our shield of faith in which to extinguish all the fiery darts of the evil one. And then we’re instructed to grab our only offensive weapon, the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God. Revelation 12:11 says the righteous overcome the enemy, “…by the blood of the Lamb and the word of their testimony.” We were in the throws of prayerful spiritual warfare and Marcia let the enemy know, “No more in Jesus Name! That’s enough!” Her confession of faith was power-packed! It’s as if she drew a line in the sand and told the enemy he could no longer trespass in the name of Jesus!
As I laid down to go to bed last night I thought of this powerful confession, “ENOUGH!” As I thought about it, I thought of the movie Enough with Jennifer Lopez as the main character. In this movie she marries a man who seems to love her but he is deceiving her. Once married, the real man comes out and he is violent and abusive. Finally, Jennifer has had “Enough”, and she musters the courage to leave him. She goes to her father and asks for financial support. Then, she begins to go into training to fight back. She gets a personal trainer who teaches her how to fight. Next, she calls on a friend to watch her daughter so she can carry out her plan to save herself and her daughter.
Here are a few spiritual applications the Holy Spirit spoke to me that relate to this movie and the confession of, “ENOUGH!”
1. First, we too are often deceived by the enemy. Just like Eve, he leads us to think something is going to be good but instead of being blessed, we’re deceived and we find ourselves trapped and enslaved. Sin will take you farther than you want to go and keep you longer than you want to stay!
2. After Jennifer has been abused for so long she finally says Enough! No more! She leaves! We too when we have been harassed by the enemy far too long need to say, “Enough!” God has given us authority over the enemy. He has given us, “weapons of warfare that are not carnal but are mighty to the pulling down of the strongholds of the enemy.” (2 Cor. 10:4) But, we have to use them. We have to “take every thought captive and make it obedient to Christ!” (2 Cor. 10:5) We have to pick up our shield of faith in which to extinguish all the fiery darts of the enemy. We have to pick up the sword of the Spirit which is the word of God and wield it. (Eph. 6) A sword sitting on the table is useless. It must be picked up and used in order to be beneficial.
3. The first thing J-Lo does after she leaves is run straight to her father for help. She needs his financial assistance. We too can and should always run to our Abba Father for help in every area! “You did not receive a spirit of slavery that returns you to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship, by whom we cry, ‘Abba Father!'” (Romans 8:15)
4. Next, J-Lo doesn’t know how to fight back so she gets a trainer with the assistance of her father. We too after conversion don’t know how to fight the enemy. Like any good soldier we have to go to basic training. We are not yet skilled swordsmen of the Word of God which is why it is so important for us to attend Bible study so that we can be be trained and learn how to wield our sword of the Spirit. 2 Timothy 2:15 says, ‘Study to show yourself approved, a workman who does not to be ashamed but who can rightly divide the Word of Truth.” And Titus 2:3-5 says, “Let the older women teach the younger women…” There is much benefit in mentoring relationships that teach us how to, “fight the good fight of faith!” (1 Timothy 6:12)
5. After devising a strategy to fight back she calls on her friend to watch her daughter while she carries out her plan of attack. We too need to call on our friends to support us in the thick of the battle. In Exodus 17:8-16 while the Israelites were at Rephidim the Amalekites came and attacked the Israelites. Moses went to the top of a nearby hill with Aaron and Hur to watch, while Joshua led the Israelites into battle. When Moses held his hands up the Israelites were winning the battle. But, when his hands dropped because he was tired, the Israelites would start losing ground. So, Aaron and Hur bought a rock for Moses to sit on and then they held his hands up one on the right and the other on the left. The result is that the Israelites won the battle. This is a picture of what we as friends can do for one another. We too can hold each other up in prayer so that the battle can be won. We are to, “Encourage one another and all the more as we see the Day approaching!” (Heb. 3:13 & 1 These. 5:16) And, we are to, “Confess our sins and struggles one to another and pray for each other so that we may be healed. The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man or woman avails much!” (James 5:16)
6. What’s the result of all J-lo’s courage and corresponding training? She wins the battle! We too will win the battle against the enemy when we say, “Enough! In Jesus Name!” When we call on our Father for help He, “always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ!” (2 Cor. 2:14) Ladies, when we run to our Father for help; When we get in the Word and Bible study and get equipped and trained; When we call on our friends for prayer and support, victory is guaranteed!
So, my question for you is, “In what area of your life do you need to say to the enemy, ‘Enough in Jesus Name!” Where do you need to draw the line in the sand and tell the enemy, “No more trespassing in Jesus Name!” Call on your Abba Father, Get in the Word, Get with your fellow believers, Get back in community with the family of God, call on the elders and your friends to pray with you and for you! Victory awaits! What are you waiting for…?